Hoda Kotb Returns to Today Show After Family Health Matter
Hoda Kotb has returned to the Today show after a two-week absence due to a family health matter. On Monday's show, the 58-year-old anchor addressed her temporary leave, revealing that her 3-year-old daughter had been in the ICU and the hospital for a little over a week.
Kotb's last live appearance on Today was on February In two later pre-taped segments, she was featured. On March 1, Craig Melvin took a moment to explain why he and Guthrie were absent, as Guthrie had tested positive for COVID the previous week. He said that while Kotb was “OK,” she had a “family health matter that she's been dealing with.”
Kotb's last live appearance was on Feb. 17. She pre-recorded an appearance on the fourth hour of Today with Jenna Bush Hager which aired on Presidents Day, Feb. 20. Last week, after reports of Kotb's absence from the show, Craig Melvin informed viewers that she was dealing with a family health issue.
Kotb told her Today co-anchor Savannah Guthrie that her youngest, Hope, had been in the ICU for a few days, followed by more than a week in the hospital. I am overjoyed that she has returned home. I was eagerly anticipating the day she would be back, and we are observing her carefully. I am elated.
“Savannah,” she continued, “I also came to realize that when your child is sick, you can be so grateful for those who helped you.” I am incredibly thankful to the doctors and nurses at Weill Cornell who were wonderful. My family and friends, especially you, were there for me every day and I cannot thank them enough. I love you all.
Kotb mentioned that she has discussed the concept of gratitude frequently, yet she realized she had not been practicing it as she was afraid. She recollected that she had a family who loves her, an older daughter at home, a great support system and doctors “who would have done anything to make her situation better — and they did. This realization motivated her to alter her line of thought.
0. “Hoda Kotb Returns to ‘Today' Show, Explains Daughter Was in ICU” Just Jared, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.justjared.com/2023/03/06/hoda-kotb-returns-to-today-show-explains-daughter-was-in-icu/
1. “Hoda Kotb returns to ‘Today,' reveals daughter was hospitalized: ‘I'm so grateful she's home'” Yahoo Entertainment, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hoda-kotb-returns-today-reveals-daughter-hospitalized-140459612.html
2. “Craig Melvin Says Hoda and Savannah Will ‘Be Back Soon' amid Absences” PEOPLE, 3 Mar. 2023, https://people.com/tv/craig-melvin-says-hoda-kotb-savannah-guthrie-will-be-back-soon-amid-absences/
3. “Hoda Kotb Returns To ‘Today’ After Absence Due To Daughter’s Health Issue; Savannah Guthrie Also Back After Covid Test” Deadline, 6 Mar. 2023, https://deadline.com/2023/03/hoda-kotb-today-daugther-health-issue-1235280291/
4. “Hoda Kotb Tears Up While Discussing Scary Reason for ‘Today' Absence” Newsweek, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/hoda-kotb-today-show-nbc-absence-daughter-icu-1785771
5. “Hoda Kotb Says She Struggled to Have Gratitude Amid Daughter Hope's Hospitalization: ‘I Was Scared'” Entertainment Tonight, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.etonline.com/hoda-kotb-says-she-struggled-to-have-gratitude-amid-daughter-hopes-hospitalization-i-was-scared