Legendary Musician David Lindley Passes Away at 78
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of musician David Lindley, aged 78, who had reportedly been battling an illness for several months. Singer Jason Isbell wrote on Twitter: “The loss of David Lindley is a huge one. Without his influence my music would sound completely different. I was genuinely obsessed with his playing from the first time I heard it. The man was a giant.”
Organizer Douglas Reynolds said: “I am saddened to pass on the news that my friend David left the planet this morning, March 3. Thank you to everyone who purchased a tee and donated to the fundraiser. It will help his girls – his wife Joanie and his daughter Rosanne – not have to think about money at this sad time.”
Lindley was born in San Marino, California in 1944 and formed the band Kaleidoscope with the late Chris Darrow – whose sister he eventually married. Jackson Browne helped make him a household name with their 1973 collaboration on the song For Everyman.
The Claremont Courier reported that, over the span of his career, he collaborated with many musicians such as Bob Dylan, Linda Ronstadt, Leonard Cohen, Dolly Parton, Rod Stewart, Jackson Browner, and Warren Zevon.
His skill on guitar, fiddle and other instruments made him a first-call for session work, starting in the 1960s through today. In response to the heartbreaking announcement of his death, admirers flocked to social media to express their condolences. Author Stephen King penned: “So sorry to hear the great David Lindley has passed away. The world has lost a brilliant musician.”
Graham Nash wrote in an Instagram post: “One of the most talented musicians there has ever been. David could play pretty much any instrument you put in front of him with incredible versatility and expression.”
In recent years, he performed during the Arroyo Seco Weekend in June 2017 and appeared at the Folk Music Center’s 60th anniversary celebration a year later. He told Rolling Stone in 2010: “I’d listen to a song and see what worked. The song is the center of everything. If the song was about a friend of Jackson’s who died, you play something appropriate for that. You don’t play a Chuck berry solo in the middle of ‘Song for Adam.
0. “Godfather of soft rock David Lindley dead after months of illness” Toronto Sun, 4 Mar. 2023, https://torontosun.com/entertainment/celebrity/godfather-of-soft-rock-david-lindley-dead-after-months-of-illness
1. “”One of the greatest ever to ever play music” – musicians pay tribute to David Lindley, who has died at the age of 78″ MusicRadar, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.musicradar.com/news/one-of-the-greatest-ever-to-ever-play-music-musicians-pay-tribute-to-david-lindley-who-has-died-at-the-age-of-78
2. “Multi-Instrumentalist and Session Musician David Lindley Dead at 78” CelebrityAccess ENCORE, 4 Mar. 2023, https://celebrityaccess.com/2023/03/04/multi-instrumentalist-and-session-musician-david-lindley-dead-at-78/
3. “David Lindley dies as tributes paid to musician behind Dolly Parton and Jackson Browne hits” The Mirror, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/breaking-david-lindley-dead-musician-29370170
4. “Iconic Claremont musician David Lindley dead at 78” Claremont Courier, 3 Mar. 2023, https://claremont-courier.com/latest-news/iconic-claremont-musician-david-lindley-dead-at-78-72983/
5. “Guitarist David Lindley, known for work with Jackson Browne, dead at 78” 960 The Ref, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.960theref.com/news/trending/guitarist-david-lindley-known-work-with-jackson-browne-dead-78/ZGFB6SR3YVGKXERIG3XLNIGPPU/
6. “Former Jackson Browne guitarist David Lindley dies as tributes pour in for music icon” Daily Star, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/us-showbiz/former-jackson-browne-guitarist-david-29370471
7. “David Lindley Dies: Session Star And Multi-Instrumentalist With Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan Was 78” Deadline, 4 Mar. 2023, https://deadline.com/2023/03/david-lindley-dead-session-star-multi-instrumentalist-with-jackson-browne-bob-dylan-was-78-1235278848/