Meghan Markle Honored at Ms. Foundation Women of Vision Awards in NYC with Prince Harry by Her Side
On May 16th, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex made a rare public appearance together in New York City, attending the Ms. Foundation Women of Vision Awards: Celebrating Generations of Progress & Power. Meghan, who was honored as one of this year's Woman of Vision Award honorees, stunned in a gold Joanna Ortiz gown with a cut-out on the bodice. The Duchess was presented with the Women in Vision award by Ms. Foundation co-founder Gloria Steinem, who praised Meghan for her “global advocacy to empower and advocate on behalf of women and girls”. Meghan is characterized as a feminist, advocate for human rights and gender equality, and an international inspiration in her biography featured on the Ms. Foundation's website. The foundation's 50th anniversary celebration also honored other incredible female leaders such as Black Voters Matter co-founder LaTosha Brown and emerging leaders abortion rights activist Olivia Julianna and LGBTQ+ advocate Rebekah Bruesehoff.
Meghan and Steinem have a history of working together to spark change. In 2020, the pair joined forces ahead of the presidential election for a “backyard chat,” where they stressed the importance of voting. Later that year, Markle paid a visit to Steinem at her home, and cold-called voters together from her dining room table. The Ms. Foundation is a Brooklyn-based organization that works to shine a light on the challenges facing women, especially women of color and low-income women who are living in poverty. The Women of Vision Awards is an annual celebration for the foundation, which marks its 50th anniversary this year.
For the occasion, Meghan wore a gorgeous strapless gold dress by designer Johanna Ortiz, which she paired with matching a matching clutch and Tom Ford sandals. The dress, which was originally designed with straps, cost $1,850. Meghan accessorized her outfit with a pair of ‘naked' $1,350 gold heels from Tom Ford, which featured a funky padlock and key embellishment on the ankle strap, as well as Carolina Herrara Metropolitan Insignia’ Small Box Bag in Yellow ($1420). Her husband, Prince Harry, rocked a navy blue suit complete with a white button-up shirt and a light-blue tie. Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland, sported a black dress and pointy-toe pumps.
It was a surprise to see Prince Harry's attendance at the event, marking his first public appearance since the coronation, as it was not announced beforehand. The coronation ceremony, which took place on May 6th, was attended by his father King Charles III, but Meghan and their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, remained in California. It is interesting to note that Archie's fourth birthday coincided with the coronation. This outing comes just over one week after Harry attended his father's coronation ceremony in London, while Meghan stayed at their home in Montecito, California with their children.
The Duchess of Sussex's global advocacy for women and girls is just one of many ways she uses her platform to make a difference. She consistently incorporates her lifelong commitment to advocating for women and girls into both her humanitarian and business pursuits. Meghan and Harry's popularity in the US continues to soar, thanks to their ongoing commitment to important causes.
0. “Meghan Markle Is Glittering in Gold During Red Carpet Date Night With Prince Harry After Coronation” E! NEWS, 17 May. 2023, https://www.eonline.com/news/1374624/meghan-markle-is-glittering-in-gold-during-red-carpet-date-night-with-prince-harry-after-coronation
1. “Meghan stuns in strapless gold dress” news.com.au, 16 May. 2023, https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/meghan-markle-arrives-at-the-women-in-vision-awards-with-prince-harry-and-her-mum-doria-ragland/news-story/2f7fcdaec4aa69ea9079b12b8a1aac8d
2. “Meghan Markle Stuns in a Golden Gown at the 2023 Women of Vision Awards With Husband Prince Harry and Mom Doria Ragland” Us Weekly, 17 May. 2023, https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/news/meghan-markle-prince-harry-attend-women-of-vision-awards
3. “Meghan Markle Steps Out in New York City with Prince Harry and Mom Doria” PEOPLE, 16 May. 2023, https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-steps-out-new-york-city-accept-women-vision-award-gloria-steinem/
4. “Meghan Markle Shines in Strapless Gold Gown With Prince Harry and Her Mom — See the Pics!” Entertainment Tonight, 17 May. 2023, https://www.etonline.com/meghan-markle-shines-in-strapless-gold-gown-with-prince-harry-and-her-mom-see-the-pics-204743
5. “Meghan Markle ‘welled up’ while accepting Women of Vision gong at glitzy New York gala as ‘proud’ Prince Ha…” The Sun, 16 May. 2023, https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/22382793/meghan-markle-accept-women-of-vision-award/
6. “Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Step Out in NYC With Doria Ragland” TODAY, 17 May. 2023, https://www.today.com/popculture/royals/meghan-markle-prince-harry-nyc-rcna84790
7. “Meghan Markle Rocks Gold Gown At NYC Gala With Prince Harry After Skipping Coronation: Photos” HollywoodLife, 17 May. 2023, https://hollywoodlife.com/2023/05/16/meghan-markle-gold-dress-nyc-gala-prince-harry-photos
8. “Meghan Markle Wears Gold Dress for Women of Vision Gala Alongside Prince Harry & Doria – See Photos” Town & Country, 16 May. 2023, https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a43904146/meghan-markle-gold-dress-ms-foundation-gala-prince-harry-doria-photos
9. “Meghan Markle shocks as Prince Harry joins her ahead of Women of Vision Awards – Mirror Online” The Mirror, 16 May. 2023, https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/breaking-prince-harry-surprise-appearance-29996635