Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Leave Frogmore Cottage Ahead of King Charles’ Coronation
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been asked to vacate their British residence, Frogmore Cottage, which was given to them by the late Queen Elizabeth II. A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed on Wednesday that they had been requested to leave, but Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
The move could have serious implications for the couple, as it severs any physical ties they have with the UK, and could fuel rumors of a feud between the couple and the rest of the Royal Family. It also calls into question whether Harry and Meghan will attend King Charles' coronation in May.
The development concerning Frogmore comes ahead of Charles’ coronation in May, and it remains to be seen whether Harry and Meghan will attend. The couple has already fallen out with many of their former friends and associates, and this latest development is likely to add fuel to the fire of their alleged grievances against the institution.
Fairly or unfairly, many of the headlines around the Sussexes’ move to Windsor focused on the public cost of Frogmore Cottage’s revamp, which totaled £2.4 million ($2.9 million) and was initially footed by British taxpayers. Once they moved to the United States, Harry and Meghan reimbursed the entire expense of the renovation.
Interestingly, Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, is also supported by the Sovereign Grant and resides in the nearby Royal Lodge, a 31-bedroom estate which he and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson inhabit. The king has reportedly offered the residence to his disgraced younger brother Prince Andrew, whom the late Queen Elizabeth II stripped of royal titles and patronages after Jeffrey Epstein survivor Virginia Giuffre alleged that he sexually abused her when she was a minor. Charles has ordered Andrew to downsize from his Royal Lodge mansion by August.
Harry and Meghan are now making arrangements for their remaining belongings in the home to be sent to them in California. A British tabloid has reported that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have started preparing to shift their possessions from the five-bedroom house to Montecito, California. It remains unclear what “belongings” the Sun references are still there.
0. “Why did King Charles ‘evict' Harry and Meghan from UK home?” Marca English, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/uk-news/2023/03/02/64003ad0268e3efb1b8b45e3.html
1. “What Does Harry and Meghan’s Eviction From Frogmore Cottage Mean for Their Future in the U.K.?” Vogue, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.vogue.com/article/prince-harry-meghan-markle-eviction-explainer
2. “Home is where the hatred is: Meghan and Harry reportedly ‘evicted’ from Frogmore Cottage” Yahoo Life, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/home-where-hatred-meghan-harry-210717969.html
3. “King Charles Evicts Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan from Frogmore Cottage” Harper's BAZAAR, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a43146393/king-charles-prince-harry-meghan-markle-frogmore-cottage-eviction/
4. “Prince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate Frogmore Cottage royal home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew” CBS News, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-harry-meghan-frogmore-cottage-prince-andrew/
5. “Prince Andrew Is Reportedly Moving to Frogmore Cottage” Town & Country, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a43141437/prince-andrew-frogmore-cottage-prince-harry-meghan-markle/