Selena Gomez Reclaims Title of Most Followed Woman on Instagram and Takes a Break from Social Media
Selena Gomez has regained the title of the most followed female on Instagram, overtaking Kylie Jenner. As of Friday, Gomez has more than 382 million followers, while Jenner has over 380 million. The milestone for Selena comes as Jenner is one of the most active influencers on social media.
The decision came shortly after fans realized Gomez had commented on an old video of Hailey Bieber seemingly gagging at Taylor Swift's name. Selena responded, “So sorry my best friend is and continues to be one of the best in the game.”
Gomez then took a break from social media, explaining in a live video, “I'm very happy, I'm so blessed, I have the best friends, the best fans in the whole world and I just couldn’t be happier. I'm good. I love the way I am I don’t care, I’m big, I’m not, I don’t care. I love who I am. And yeah, I’m gonna be taking a second from social media, because this is a little silly. And I’m 30, I’m too old for this, so…but I love you guys so much! And I will see you guys sooner than later, I just… I’m just gonna just take a break from everything.”
Gomez further elaborated, “People can call me ugly or stupid and I'm like, whatever. But these people get detailed. They write paragraphs that are so specific and mean. I would constantly be crying. I constantly had anxiety…I couldn't do it anymore. It was a waste of my time.”
She further stated, “The only thing I have on my phone is TikTok because I find it to be a little less hostile. There are wonderful things about social media—connecting with fans, seeing how happy and excited they are and their stories. But usually that's filtered through [for me now]. I created a system. Everything I do I send to my assistant who posts them. As far as comments, my team will put together a few things that are encouraging.“ The best part of social media is the ability to connect with fans, observe their joy and enthusiasm, and hear their stories. For me, this is usually filtered through now. I devised a system. I have my assistant post all of my activities. My team will compile some positive feedback in terms of comments.
0. “Selena Gomez surpasses Kylie Jenner as most-followed woman on Instagram” CBS News, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/selena-gomez-kylie-jenner-instagram/
1. “Selena Gomez becomes the most followed woman on Instagram, while announcing she'd take a break from” Marca English, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrities/2023/02/24/63f8039222601d00478b45f5.html
2. “Selena Gomez is taking a social media break” Entertainment Weekly News, 24 Feb. 2023, https://ew.com/celebrity/selena-gomez-social-media-break-following-comments
3. “Selena Gomez Is Taking a Social Media Break After More Hailey Bieber Drama: “I'm Too Old For This”” POPSUGAR, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/selena-gomez-hailey-bieber-tiktok-feud-49097434
4. “Selena Gomez deletes her TikTok account and fans are panicking” Dexerto, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/selena-gomez-deletes-her-tiktok-account-and-fans-are-panicking-2070125
5. “Selena Gomez Says She's Taking a Break from Social Media: ‘I'm Too Old for This'” PEOPLE, 23 Feb. 2023, https://people.com/music/selena-gomez-is-taking-a-break-from-social-media-im-too-old-for-this
6. “Selena Gomez Is the New Queen of Instagram” InStyle, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.instyle.com/selena-gomez-most-followed-on-instagram-7113339
7. “Selena Gomez reactivates TikTok after announcing break from social media amid Kylie Jenner feud rumours” The Independent, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/selena-gomez-tiktok-instagram-quit-kylie-jenner-b2288709.html