USPS Unveils Forever Stamp Honoring Toni Morrison
The United States Postal Service (USPS) has released a Forever stamp to honor late Nobel laureate Toni Morrison. The stamp, designed by USPS art director Ethel Kessler, features a photograph by Deborah Feingold of Morrison against a bright yellow background. The stamp was unveiled at Princeton University in New Jersey, where Morrison taught for 17 years, during a first day of issue ceremony.
Morrison received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1993, becoming the first African American woman to do so. She was previously recognized with a stamp by Sweden in 1993 and by Palau in 2000. She won the Pulitzer Prize for her 1987 novel “Beloved.”
The ceremony was attended by USPS Chief Information Officer and Executive Vice President Pritha Mehra, who served as the dedicating official. Other guests included Princeton University President Christopher Eisgruber, Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden, photographer Deborah Feingold, and faculty dean Gene Jarrett, who was a student of Morrison’s.
Michael Cadden, a longtime Princeton lecturer who co-taught courses with Morrison and formerly served as chair of the Lewis Center of the Arts, was master of ceremonies. At the ceremony, the Obamas' letter of tribute was read aloud and a video tribute from Oprah Winfrey was showcased.
Feingold, who captured the photograph of Morrison for the stamp, said, “It was a privilege to photograph Ms. Morrison, an amazing author who contributed so much to the world through her works. However, it is an absolute honor to know that the same photograph capturing a moment in time is now the subject of a Forever stamp. I am delighted that my photograph was used as a source to design the stamp and to participate in today’s unveiling and celebration.”
Annually, the USPS receives around 30,000 proposed ideas for stamps and selects approximately 25 to 30 of them. Morrison was chosen because she has “made extraordinary and enduring contributions to American society,” a spokesperson for USPS said.
The Forever stamp will always be equal in value to the current First-Class Mail 1-ounce price. The release of the stamp serves as a reminder of Morrison’s works and the power of words and reading.
0. “Toni Morrison honored with new stamp, unveiled at Princeton University” WABC-TV, 8 Mar. 2023, https://abc7ny.com/toni-morrison-stamp-princeton-university-postal/12926860
1. “Toni Morrison honored with a Forever stamp at Princeton ceremony” NJ.com, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.nj.com/mercer/2023/03/toni-morrison-honored-with-a-forever-stamp-at-princeton-ceremony.html
2. “Author Toni Morrison honored with forever stamp” Yahoo News, 8 Mar. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/author-toni-morrison-honored-forever-150200886.html
3. “USPS Honors Famed Author Toni Morrison with Forever Stamp” The Washington Informer, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtoninformer.com/usps-honors-famed-author-toni-morrison-with-forever-stamp/
4. “U.S. Postal Service To Honor Toni Morrison With Stamp Dedication At Princeton U.” Princeton, NJ Patch, 28 Feb. 2023, https://patch.com/new-jersey/princeton/upsc-honor-toni-morrison-stamp-dedication-princeton-u